PORTLAND, Ore. -- Chomping down on 43 1/2 socks was enough to make one 3-year-old Great Dane pretty sick.
After vomiting and retching during the day, abdominal radiographs revealed "a severely distended stomach and a large quality of foreign material," according to Veterinary Practice News.
During surgery performed by a DoveLewis veterinarian in Portland, Ore., the socks were removed. The dog was sent home one day after surgery, according to the News.
When Dr. Ashley Magee at DoveLewis Animal Hospital opened the dogs stomach, she told KGW, they "kept removing sock after sock of all different shapes and sizes."
The animal hospital submitted the example to the annual "They Ate WHAT?" contest at Veterinary Practice News, which was published online on August 27.